What is a Sports Massage?
A sports massage is a specific type of massage that is meant to help an athlete be at the peak of their athletic performance for his or her upcoming event.
This type of massage is a Swedish style of massage that is going to help circulate the blood through the muscles which will help them receive more oxygen and recover and prepare for athletic events faster.
You do not need to be an athlete preparing for an event to see benefits from a sports massage. Sports massages will also help with chronic pain and help your body’s mobility.
What types of sports massages are their?
There are 4 types of sports massage:
- Pre-event massage- This is a 15- 45 minute massage that will focused on the area of the body that will be used before an event. This will circulate the blood to the muscles before the event which will help them be warmed-up before the event and prevent injuries from happening.
- Post-even massage- This type of massage is usually given 1-2 hours after the even to help the muscles recover faster for the next upcoming event.
- Restorative Massage- This type of massage is given to an athlete to help them recover faster so they can continue to train harder and faster without fear of injury from muscle fatigue.
- Rehabilitative Massage- This massage will focus on an injured area of an athlete to help alleviate pain so they can get to full health as fast as possible.
How will a sports massage help you?
The best athletes in the world use sports massage therapy to help them get to the peak of their athletic performance. A sports massage will help you in a variety of ways:
- Muscle Recovery– A sports massage will help your muscles recover quicker from a workout or event so that you can train harder and faster the next time you train.
- Injury Prevention– Muscles that are massaged will have less injuries because of the increased range of motion and mobility they will have.
- Injury Recovery– Massages are great to help muscles recover from injury because it allows more blood and oxygen get to the muscle which is how the muscle is able to heal. Without blood the muscle would not be able to ever fully heal.
- Relaxation– Massages are great ways to relax your muscles and your mind. Relaxed muscles and a clear mind are key factors in improving athletic performance.
For athletes and people with chronic pains a sports massage might be the answer to help your everyday life and reach the peak of your athletic performance.